All those seeking to serve in ministry in the UCC must demonstrate a knowledge and appreciation of UCC history, polity, and theology. To that end, all candidates seeking ordination, Dual Standing, and Privilege of Call and all ecumenically ordained clergy who are interested in one day serving a UCC congregation are expected to complete a course on UCC history, polity, and theology.
Take a Course
The following organizations offer online UCC History, Polity, and Theology courses that may be taken to fulfill the requirements for authorization with the UCC. Prior to registering for a course, please confirm with your COM that the course will fulfill the requirement:
- UCC History, Polity, and Theology @ General Synod
- Chicago Theological Seminary
- Eden Seminary (the course, not 2-day intensive)
- Indiana Kentucky Conference
- The Institutes, Central Atlantic Conference
- Lancaster Theological Seminary
- New York School of Ministry, New York Conference
- Pacific School of Religion
- Philips Seminary
Curriculum for Congregations: Exploring UCC Polity
This is a hands on curriculum for congregations and curious people of faith. It is used for teaching and exploring how the UCC equips and engages each part of the denomination to be the hands and feet of Christ in the world. Use this with confirmation, adult small groups, retreats, new member courses, Committees on Ministry, and other any gathering of folks who are curious about what it means to be a part of the UCC.